The folks at the popular marketplace ThemeForest reached a significant milestone this week: they now have over 1,000 WordPress themes listed on their site. In celebration of the occasion the folks at Envato (the company behind ThemeForest) have commissioned the release of free and original WordPress icons under a GPL license.
Collis Ta’eed, co-founder of Envato, said that “the state of ‘WordPress icons’ on the internet has been a bit grim”, and hopes this giveaway and associated poll will be a nice way to introduce new icons into the community.
Regarding the WordPress theme milestone on ThemeForest, Ta’eed passed along a few statistics:
- It took 2.8 years to reach 1,000 total WordPress themes in the marketplace.
- The oldest WordPress theme on Themeforest was added on the 8th of August, 2008.
- The highest selling WordPress theme has made $200,000 in sales to date.
- The fastest selling theme has solid $160,000 in 7 months (so far).
- The highest author earnings in one month is $40,000 (that’s after ThemeForest’s cut).
- Nearly every theme listed on ThemeForest has sold more than one copy.
Now at 1,000 theme and counting, ThemeForest is the largest commercial marketplace of WordPress themes.
What do you think of the icons Envato is giving away? And how about this milestone, particularly in light of some of the recent discussion going on around ThemeForest themes, and the greater WordPress theme market?