Pingdom, the website uptime monitoring service, ran a test in 2010 surveying the uptime of a few major blogging services. WordPress.com, Blogger, Posterous, Tumblr, and Typepad were all monitored for two months, both individual blogs on the host as well as the services’ homepages. The results of their testing revealed WordPress.com to be the second most reliable service, just after Google’s Blogger, with only about 20 minutes of total downtime in those two months.
The full report is available on Pingdom’s blog, but the basic information is here:
- Blogger blogs: 0 minutes of downtime
- WordPress.com blogs: ~9 minutes of downtime
- Typepad: ~14 minutes of downtime
- Posterous: ~128 minutes of downtime
- Tumblr: ~47.5 hours of downtime
Downtime can be the worst. How much downtime does your blog typically see? Do you use Pingdom, or something else, to monitor your blog’s uptime?