WordPress Dev Chat redux

Add a Comment

The WordPress Dev Chat took place on September 9. The purpose of the meeting was to finalize features for 3.1 and to confirm the developers working on each feature. Here are a few highlights of the meeting:

  • Mark Jaquith will work on advanced taxonomy queries and will have it in by October 15. Scribu and Mark are still discussing the API and scope.
  • Scribu is prepping roles and capabilities cleanup.
  • Koopersmith is working on a draft of internal linking.
  • Ajaxy admin screens are in and need UI review and cleanup. The UI group will be reviewing it and making a list of any inconsistencies.
  • The admin bar is controversial. There will be more discussion as to whether it will be core and on, core but off, a core plugin or a regular plugin before it gets added.
  • Westi is working on core plugins UI for 3.1.
  • Rboren is working on the separate network dashboard.
  • Nacin is working on small fixes to custom post types API.
  • Jorbin making QuickPress a template tag. A patch has been started on and there should be a first pass ready this week.
  • No tax meta for 3.1 because it’s a schema change and there will be no schema changes for 3.1.

You can read the entirety of the chat in the transcript box after the jump.

View the chat transcript

westi: you’re probably correct. but man, my theme dir would look so beautiful if it worked 🙂
Sep 09 20:30:03 2010 JaneWells
<meeting>
Sep 09 20:30:11 2010 westi
</idle chat>
Sep 09 20:30:15 2010 JaneWells
yep
Sep 09 20:30:20 2010 koopersmith
westi: fair enough. 🙂 There are a few reasons I think it’s viable.
Sep 09 20:30:25 2010 JaneWells
so, status check from last week
Sep 09 20:30:27 2010 brianrichards
ACTION zipped
Sep 09 20:30:47 2010 JaneWells
MarkJaquith: are you confirmed to work on adv tax queries and have it in by october 15?
Sep 09 20:31:22 2010 MarkJaquith
Scribu is working on some nice taxonomy query cleanup in preparation for that. Just getting the house in order. We’re still discussing the API and scope of that, but I’m confirmed to be working on it, yes.
Sep 09 20:31:41 2010 JaneWells
groovy. ditto the roles/caps cleanuo?
Sep 09 20:31:53 2010 scribu
I’ve been working on preping that too
Sep 09 20:32:00 2010 JaneWells
cool
Sep 09 20:32:06 2010 JaneWells
next: internal linking
Sep 09 20:32:12 2010 nacin
What’s roles/caps cleanup?
Sep 09 20:32:12 2010 JaneWells
koopersmith is working on a draft
Sep 09 20:32:27 2010 JaneWells
nacin: the get_users() and friends cleanup that scribu started
Sep 09 20:32:29 2010 koopersmith
Indeed I am.
Sep 09 20:32:33 2010 JaneWells
going down list from last week’s summary post
Sep 09 20:32:43 2010 nacin
Oh, ok.
Sep 09 20:32:43 2010 MarkJaquith
Roles/Cap simplification was punted. Dunno status of get_users() cleanup.
Sep 09 20:32:43 2010 JaneWells
back to internal linking, koop is working on draft
Sep 09 20:32:55 2010 JaneWells
on sunday, rboren and i will pick it up and try to knock it out
Sep 09 20:33:00 2010 JaneWells
ui-wise etc
Sep 09 20:33:07 2010 WDS-Brad
User Joined
Sep 09 20:33:07 2010 WDS-Brad
User Joined
Sep 09 20:33:16 2010 JaneWells
with intention of trying it on wordpress.com to work the kinks out before feature freeze for 3.1
Sep 09 20:33:38 2010 JaneWells
(we needed a week-long sprint project)
Sep 09 20:34:09 2010 JaneWells
will work with koopersmith, filosofo etc as needed/available
Sep 09 20:34:57 2010 JaneWells
ajaxy admin screens are in, need ui review/cleanup, and ui group will be reviewing this week and making list of any inconsistencies
Sep 09 20:35:48 2010 JaneWells
admin bar: still a little contentious. core and on, core but off, core plugin, regular plugin? we agreed to inclusion last week, but i think there may be more discussion before it gets added.
Sep 09 20:36:01 2010 CIA-91
wordpress: westi * r15604 /trunk/wp-admin/includes/default-list-tables.php: Apply some bandaid to WP_Comments_Table::prepare_items() to cover more of the different ways we include post IDs in urls/ajax queries.
Sep 09 20:36:02 2010 trac-bot
CIA-91: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/15604
Sep 09 20:36:07 2010 JaneWells
guessing rboren will do this one since he handles the .com merges
Sep 09 20:36:15 2010 westi
JaneWells: I think we should just gets some code on and then see where it feels best
Sep 09 20:36:21 2010 westi
it is all additive afterall
Sep 09 20:36:51 2010 JaneWells
westi: you have access to the .com code if you want to take it on
Sep 09 20:36:59 2010 westi
ACTION Covers Ears
Sep 09 20:36:59 2010 JaneWells
actually, might be good, you were going ot be in charge of core plugins 🙂
Sep 09 20:37:19 2010 JaneWells
so whichever way it goes, you’d be a good person
Sep 09 20:37:21 2010 westi
JaneWells: need to finish the ones the teams started
Sep 09 20:37:35 2010 JaneWells
westi: where do those stand?
Sep 09 20:37:42 2010 JaneWells
i.e. do we need a core plugins UI for 3.1
Sep 09 20:37:51 2010 JaneWells
it’s been months
Sep 09 20:37:55 2010 westi
JaneWells: they need a review and then I can alpha them.. then we can see about UI needs
Sep 09 20:38:18 2010 westi
Its my highest priority personal project once I start fulltime 🙂
Sep 09 20:38:27 2010 JaneWells
k
Sep 09 20:38:36 2010 westi
I want all the goodness out there 🙂
Sep 09 20:38:43 2010 JaneWells
rboren is on teh separate network dashbaord (well, it’s mostly done)
Sep 09 20:38:56 2010 JaneWells
small fixes to the custom post types API is Nacin
Sep 09 20:38:59 2010 nacin
mostly done, and I’m going to hack away at it soon as well.
Sep 09 20:39:04 2010 westi
code review needs focused time not the spotty availablity I’ve had of late
Sep 09 20:39:13 2010 JaneWells
nacin: confirm you’re taking point on the api stuff
Sep 09 20:39:15 2010 JaneWells
?
Sep 09 20:39:19 2010 nacin
yeah, that and custom post statuses. they go hand in hand.
Sep 09 20:39:23 2010 JaneWells
k
Sep 09 20:39:30 2010 OTT
User Joined
Sep 09 20:39:41 2010 JaneWells
swiping the theme finder from .com is on list but no one attached.
Sep 09 20:39:50 2010 JaneWells
am thinking rboren and i can do it as another sprint in 2 weeks
Sep 09 20:39:55 2010 JaneWells
if no one does it before then
Sep 09 20:40:02 2010 JaneWells
anyone interested in taking a stab?
Sep 09 20:40:41 2010 JaneWells
sounds like not
Sep 09 20:40:45 2010 JaneWells
:0
Sep 09 20:40:49 2010 JaneWells
i meant 🙂
Sep 09 20:40:56 2010 scribu
I would like to, but I’ve got my plate full 🙂
Sep 09 20:41:02 2010 JaneWells
yes, you do! 🙂
Sep 09 20:41:18 2010 MarkJaquith
I was going to say “no” but I was afraid that making any response might automatically volunteer me.
Sep 09 20:41:31 2010 JaneWells
scribu: since a lot of the ui consistency stuff will likley tie into pages you worked on, you might wind up picking up some of that stuff in a couple of weeks too
Sep 09 20:41:37 2010 JaneWells
MarkJaquith: heh
Sep 09 20:41:43 2010 scribu
ok
Sep 09 20:41:44 2010 JaneWells
i think ryan and i can do it
Sep 09 20:42:08 2010 JaneWells
ryan’s been working on the post style/template/mode/whatever we call it thing for themes to use
Sep 09 20:42:26 2010 JaneWells
looking at trying two different ui ideas and testing them before committing to one
Sep 09 20:42:48 2010 JaneWells
(radio buttons in metabox vs dropdown menu in publish module)
Sep 09 20:43:03 2010 westi
dropdown– 🙂
Sep 09 20:43:12 2010 JaneWells
Making QuickPress a template tag: jorbin, you’re still committed to this one?
Sep 09 20:43:39 2010 jorbin-[work]
Yes. I’ve started working up a patch. Should have a first pass ready next week
Sep 09 20:43:48 2010 JaneWells
awesome. you win the ribbon this week
Sep 09 20:43:53 2010 jorbin-[work]
SWEET!
Sep 09 20:43:56 2010 JaneWells
i will bring it to portland for you 🙂
Sep 09 20:44:09 2010 jorbin-[work]
I’m going to hold you to that 😉
Sep 09 20:44:10 2010 nacin
I want a ribbon.
Sep 09 20:44:20 2010 JaneWells
nacin: you get other rewards
Sep 09 20:44:29 2010 jorbin-[work]
nacin: you should have come to Portland the first time I suggested it
Sep 09 20:44:50 2010 JaneWells
nacin will be in birmingham eating bbq instead of whiffies
Sep 09 20:44:53 2010 JaneWells
but i digress, sorry
Sep 09 20:44:57 2010 JaneWells
that’s the end of the list
Sep 09 20:45:26 2010 JaneWells
i’m going to pass to nacin and MarkJaquith to talk about thigns like tax meta and why it’s not for 3.1, then to westi to talk bugs/tickets, so i can get a gib announcement ready for before end of meeting
Sep 09 20:45:38 2010 JaneWells
nacin, MarkJaquith, take it away
Sep 09 20:45:41 2010 nacin
ah, yes, term meta…
Sep 09 20:45:47 2010 nacin
ACTION is typing.
Sep 09 20:45:53 2010 westi
Terms are Meta 🙂
Sep 09 20:46:07 2010 MarkJaquith
Uh, it’s a schema change, and we said no schema changes for 3.1. That work?
Sep 09 20:46:07 2010 nacin
westi has an excellent point.
Sep 09 20:46:13 2010 nacin
No schema changes for 3.1, indeed.
Sep 09 20:46:33 2010 westi
We /could/ document how we /might/ do it
Sep 09 20:47:06 2010 westi
But then we might spend too much time being distracted by it
Sep 09 20:47:32 2010 nacin
westi: The question then has been why not just do it. so, the other argument to be had is that the taxonomy API deserves a facelift, probably object-oriented and it’d be nice to leverage PHP5 and such. I’d be hesitant to think about meta before we do that, so no way it’s happening for 3.1.
Sep 09 20:47:40 2010 westi
It could be something we do during the RC phase to entertain us which the I18N teams do the translations 🙂
Sep 09 20:47:46 2010 westi
Ready for 3.2
Sep 09 20:48:00 2010 jorbin-[work]
I think an article explaining why not and other sollutions to the problems that term meta is being proposed to fix is the correct sollution
Sep 09 20:48:03 2010 nacin
westi: plugin devs want that info now.
Sep 09 20:48:06 2010 westi
And we could provide a dropin API that plugins could inclide then until it’s ready
Sep 09 20:48:22 2010 westi
nacin: well they /could/ work together and make a proposal
Sep 09 20:48:44 2010 nacin
three different plugins are in the repo. All are slightly different.
Sep 09 20:48:48 2010 westi
I do agree the API needs a facelift
Sep 09 20:49:08 2010 westi
just looking at what happened to it when it went OO in BackPress made my eyes go a little wonky
Sep 09 20:49:37 2010 westi
Presonally I think it needs 2-3months alpha dev time to iron it out
Sep 09 20:49:43 2010 westi
which just kills it for 3.1
Sep 09 20:49:45 2010 westi
period
Sep 09 20:49:50 2010 MarkJaquith
Good. Next.
Sep 09 20:50:23 2010 westi
Ok Bugs 🙂
Sep 09 20:50:35 2010 westi
Does anyone have a ticket they would like to promote?
Sep 09 20:50:50 2010 westi
Requirements: Well documented, easily reproduced. Patches encouraged 🙂
Sep 09 20:50:51 2010 nacin
.tell jacobsantos Now would be a good time 🙂
Sep 09 20:50:51 2010 brianrichards
ACTION raises hand
Sep 09 20:50:51 2010 doc-bot
nacin: I will tell jacobsantos the next time I see them.
Sep 09 20:50:55 2010 brianrichards
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11216 🙂
Sep 09 20:50:55 2010 trac-bot
brianrichards: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11216 Future Release, westi->(no owner), new, Support page templates located in a subdirectory of the theme
Sep 09 20:51:13 2010 westi
Other requirement is bug..
Sep 09 20:51:19 2010 westi
Which that kinda fits
Sep 09 20:51:26 2010 ziegenberg
User Joined
Sep 09 20:52:00 2010 westi
brianrichards: if you cooked up a patch for that it would be great
Sep 09 20:52:00 2010 brianrichards
i’d be willing to help. i’ve never once looked at this before today, but am supremely interested in it
Sep 09 20:52:09 2010 johnpbloch
nacin: ping
Sep 09 20:52:16 2010 nacin
pm?
Sep 09 20:52:19 2010 johnpbloch
indeed
Sep 09 20:52:36 2010 westi
brianrichards: if you have any questions along the way let us know.. Shout when you need help 🙂
Sep 09 20:52:48 2010 brianrichards
in that case, i’ll give it a shot!
Sep 09 20:52:57 2010 westi
great
Sep 09 20:53:01 2010 filosofo
sure, some menu patches: #14518, #14415, #14208, #14235, #13994
Sep 09 20:53:01 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14518 3.0.2, juggledad->filosofo, assigned, The class ‘current-category-ancestor’ shows on the current category menu item – reproducible
Sep 09 20:53:01 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14415 3.1, DreadLox->(no owner), new, Major fail of the pages widget in the nav-menu admin page when having a lot of pages
Sep 09 20:53:02 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14208 3.1, mati1000->filosofo, closed, by adding a custom menu with the url without the slash (/) the menu dont active in front page
Sep 09 20:53:02 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14235 3.1, spangborn->filosofo, accepted, Add ability to remove ul tag from wp_nav_menu result
Sep 09 20:53:02 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13994 3.1, kamiyeye->filosofo, accepted, “Menu Item ‘Home’ won’t have class ‘current-menu-item’ in case of there are query string in the home url”
Sep 09 20:55:18 2010 nacin
filosofo: all with patches from you, I imagine?
Sep 09 20:55:26 2010 filosofo
yes
Sep 09 20:55:28 2010 westi
filosofo: looking through.
Sep 09 20:55:43 2010 filosofo
I have some non-menu ones too…
Sep 09 20:55:47 2010 filosofo
#13905
Sep 09 20:55:47 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13905 3.1, filosofo->filosofo, accepted, No sanity check in map_meta_cap caps throws PHP notices
Sep 09 20:57:01 2010 filosofo
seems obvious: #13960
Sep 09 20:57:02 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13960 Awaiting Review, grahams->(no owner), new, LiveJournal Importer broken in 3.0
Sep 09 20:57:47 2010 aaroncampbell
User Joined
Sep 09 20:58:40 2010 westi
filosofo: your trying to confuse me. #14208 is already in 😉
Sep 09 20:58:40 2010 trac-bot
westi: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14208 3.1, mati1000->filosofo, closed, by adding a custom menu with the url without the slash (/) the menu dont active in front page
Sep 09 20:59:09 2010 filosofo
westi, sorry. missed that. It was just 3 days ago. 🙂
Sep 09 20:59:29 2010 westi
Ok.. Has anyone else got any tickets to discuss as those all look straight forward 🙂
Sep 09 21:02:25 2010 filosofo
#13328
Sep 09 21:02:25 2010 trac-bot
filosofo: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13328 Awaiting Triage, filosofo->(no owner), new, Forced SSL Admin has broken preview links
Sep 09 21:02:42 2010 filosofo
Probably needs a better approach to solve the problem than that patch.
Sep 09 21:02:56 2010 filosofo
So it could use some feedback.
Sep 09 21:02:59 2010 XavierB
User Joined
Sep 09 21:03:32 2010 westi
looking
Sep 09 21:05:02 2010 westi
hmm thats probably one to get rboren to look at
Sep 09 21:05:26 2010 westi
not familiar enough with that code atm
Sep 09 21:05:43 2010 filosofo
maybe a function like get_post_link that respects admin scheme?
Sep 09 21:05:54 2010 filosofo
OK, I can bring it up with rboren later.
Sep 09 21:06:12 2010 nacin
That’s an odd one.
Sep 09 21:06:45 2010 filosofo
The patch is terrible. It was just an attempt to get some patch up before 3.0 deadline, I think.
Sep 09 21:06:45 2010 JaneWells
filosofo: rboren will be back online tomorrow, is flying to automattic meetup now
Sep 09 21:06:58 2010 nacin
filosofo: was referring to the bug, but yeah 🙂
Sep 09 21:07:44 2010 OTT
User Quit
Sep 09 21:07:50 2010 duck_
I’ve got two more straight forward ones: #14152, #14785
Sep 09 21:07:50 2010 trac-bot
duck_: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14152 minor, 3.1, cphine->(no owner), new, Custom background color selector not functioning
Sep 09 21:07:51 2010 trac-bot
duck_: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14785 minor/low, Awaiting Review, duck_->(no owner), new, Dashboard RSS configure link causes box to move
Sep 09 21:08:13 2010 nacin
the latter one has always bugged me
Sep 09 21:09:33 2010 duck_
I’m sure it’s especially disorienting to new users who haven’t moved any metaboxes (though I don’t really see them using the configure links before they do that, but anyway)
Sep 09 21:09:35 2010 JaneWells
duck_: is it “duck” or “duck under” when you say it out loud?
Sep 09 21:09:44 2010 duck_
you asked me that the other day! 😛
Sep 09 21:09:51 2010 JaneWells
i know, but you didn’t answer!
Sep 09 21:09:51 2010 duck_
former
Sep 09 21:10:13 2010 nacin
duck under it is.
Sep 09 21:10:16 2010 JaneWells
rboren will be disappointed. he thought it was super clever 🙂
Sep 09 21:10:54 2010 duck_
yeah I realised that it sounded clever after you asked last time
Sep 09 21:11:03 2010 duck_
https://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=wordpress-dev&day=2010-09-03#m177514 (I so did answer)
Sep 09 21:11:30 2010 doc-bot
User Joined
Sep 09 21:12:47 2010 westi
First one of those looks sensible
Sep 09 21:13:07 2010 duck_
but if you don’t tell rboren what I just said I’m happy to let him think I’m super clever 😀
Sep 09 21:13:15 2010 JaneWells
ha
Sep 09 21:13:30 2010 westi
duck_: you are super clever 🙂
Sep 09 21:13:43 2010 JaneWells
my good intention to post big announcement by end of meeting is falling flat. have to wait for one thign from matt, and he hasn’t kicked in the wifi on his plane yet
Sep 09 21:13:49 2010 JaneWells
so sometime tonight, i guess
Sep 09 21:14:05 2010 duck_
westi: thank you
Sep 09 21:14:41 2010 filosofo
where should we look for the announcement? wpdevel?
Sep 09 21:14:48 2010 JaneWells
a href=”http:// .org” target=”_blank”> .org
Sep 09 21:14:58 2010 JaneWells
it’s not a dev thing
Sep 09 21:15:07 2010 JaneWells
also have a tweet cued up for .org account
Sep 09 21:15:37 2010 jorbin-[work]
I’m salivating with anticipation
Sep 09 21:16:05 2010 doc-bot
User Joined
Sep 09 21:17:56 2010 westi
Unless anyone has anything else I shall continue to be distracted by improving my blogs theme by stealing code from 2010
Sep 09 21:18:59 2010 JaneWells
i’ve got nothing
Sep 09 21:19:45 2010 XavierB
I have concert videos for Stars, if you wish 🙂
Sep 09 21:20:14 2010 JaneWells
panda raccoon 🙂
Sep 09 21:21:48 2010 jorbin-[work]
I think a closing tag would be in order
Sep 09 21:21:55 2010 doc-bot
User Joined
Sep 09 21:22:19 2010 westi
</meeting>