Is it 2011 already? Wow. I suppose the one thing you can count on every year is that the year will end and a new one will begin. That, and you can count on weekly WordPress community links, right here.
This week a number of WordPress folks shared a bit of a retrospective on their last year in the WordPress community. So when you take a break from making New Year’s resolutions, grab a cup of joe and read through this week’s community links, just after the break.
There were quite a few interesting WordPress related blog posts this week :
- James Huff asked for your favorite WordPress moment from 2010 at WBTC. Also see Jeff Chandler’s comments on commercial themes this last week.
- Jane Wells wants to know what you would like 2011 to hold for WordPress. Also see her year-end roundup on the WordPress Foundation blog.
- Cory Miller posted a roundup of what 2010 brought for iThemes. Also see the iThemes videos from their Builder Birthday Bash. Cory Miller was recently interviewed too.
- Adii at WooThemes posted a 2010 year in review.
- Lenny at PollDaddy posted their review of 2010.
- See a preview of the ThemeJam options panel in the upcoming Clean Slate 2.0.
- Leland did a post showcasing the best of ThemeLab in 2010.
- Vladimir Prelovac posted about the state of SEO in 2010.
- Dev4Press did their own 2010 roundup as well.
- Kreative Themes posted their own 2010 retrospective, and about their new site design.
- Lisa Sabin-Wilson, author of WordPress for Dummies, posted about her plans to move to Atlanta in 2011. There’s also a good bit in there about starting and running businesses, which is interesting.
- Jason Schuller posted about the new developments coming to Press75 in 2011.
- Non-year-end-related, Oli Dale has a list of well known brands using WordPress.
- Matt Mullenweg posted about his blog’s stats in 2010. Ian Stewart did too.
- Lorelle at WordCast posted thoughts on what’s coming for WordPress in 2011.
There were a few noteworthy tutorials this week too:
- Justin Tadlock posted a series of tips for improving your
- There’s a collection of WordPress security posts over at the Dev4Press blog.
- David Wang wrote up how to use the WooTumblog plugin with Headway.
- Joost de Valk wrote up a nice introduction to reducing HTTP requests on WordPress sites.
- Siddharth put up a tutorial on creating WordPress shortcodes the right way, over on Nettuts.
- There’s a roundup of jQuery WordPress tutorials at DesignModo.
- Sridhar Katakam (who recently joined iThemes full time) wrote up a tutorial showing how to use the Builder duplicate sidebar widget to put a widget area inside of another widget area.
There were just a couple of WordPress resources posted this week:
- WPBeginner collected their list of the 50 best free WordPress themes of 2010. Then they followed up with another 25 of the best commercial themes.
- Oli Dale recently posted a list of 20 quality, and free, magazine style WordPress themes.
That’s it for WordPress community links this week. If you run across something link worthy, don’t hesitate to let us know about it. If it’s worth a story we’ll jump on it, and if it’s best suited for a community news post it will show up in this space next week.