If you’re a fan of March Madness, you may be bummed seeing that this year’s days of filling out brackets and anxiously awaiting winners are coming to an end soon. We have just the thing for you. Throughout the month of April we will be running our own madness: WPCandy Theme Madness 2011!
Theme Madness is a competition of our own creation, where various WordPress theme shops will face off head to head each week to ultimately win the coveted WPCandy trophy and, ultimately, worldwide fame and superstardom.
Update: We’ve added a Round 1 game schedule, rules, and more info in this post.
Before the games begin we are accepting bracket submissions over here, so head on over and fill out yours so you can play along:
We’ll be starting the games up on April 11, at which point the fun will really begin. We have more details on Theme Madness and how it will work after the jump (as well as a picture of the trophy!), so be sure to click through.
Wait wait wait—what’s this all about?
In short, this month we’re running Theme Madness 2011 at WPCandy. This means:
- 64 WordPress theme shops will be facing off, head to head, to find out just who the most beloved theme shop is. Each match will consist of a period of voting, where users and fans will decide the winner themselves.
- You can fill out a Theme Madness 2011 bracket and compete with other WPCandy readers for total bracket domination.
- In the end, the winning team and the winning bracket will be awarded a hand made WPCandy trophy, pictured below.
- Hopefully we’ll all have a good deal of fun!
And yes, the trophy below is legit:
Participation in the bracket competition is completely free, just head over and fill out your bracket to participate. You can also download a full size, logo-filled version of the brackets. We are limiting it to one bracket per person, so choose the winners wisely.
After you’ve filled out your bracket, I would encourage you to consider the $5/month option for powering WPCandy. We love the support, and during April we will also be sending all new $5 subscriptions straight to the WordPress Foundation. So you can support WPCandy and WordPress itself. I don’t even know how many wins that is, but it’s at least a handful or two.
What’s a month of madness without theme companies to compete with one another? The small image below will bring you to a PDF containing the full bracket with everyone on it. Have a look and then be sure to fill out your own bracket to join in the fun.
Each match between theme shops will be decided by the noise fans make, both in a poll and on Twitter. Social weight can swing any which way, so don’t necessarily go thinking that the biggest shops will win. It’s anyone’s game!
Finally, a few disclaimers:
- All of the theme shops in the competition are GPL compatible (as of March 2011), though not every theme shop in existence is listed. Sorry for anyone left out, but we had to make cuts somewhere. (There’s always 2012!)
- Bracket groupings themselves are fairly arbitrary, though seeding was done deliberately.
- Ashley made the mint trophies herself, which I have to mention or face immense amounts of pain. The trophy is pretty awesome, right?
So what does everyone think? Which shops will end up in the in the final four? Who will win? How crazy awesome is that mint trophy?
Links to care about: